“I feel very well prepared to go into the world as a Phlebotomist. The class involved theory and real life application of the Phlebotomy and processing skills needed to succeed in the field.”
Certified Phlebotomy Technician
A phlebotomist is a member of a health care team that is trained in the collection and handling of laboratory specimens. The phlebotomist must provide a quality specimen for testing and adhere to patient safety mandates, strict professional behavior, and standards of practice. Safety is key and all safety precautions must be taken to prevent the transmission of infectious diseases. This 16 credit certificate consists of 5 courses that will prepare the student to sit for the national Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT) exam allowing them to work in any state and perform all duties required of a Phlebotomy Technician.
- Recall and articulate medical terminology and healthcare abbreviations.
- Perform blood collection techniques using the evacuated tube system, capillary puncture, and winged infusion methods.
- Demonstrate safe and precise collection, transportation, and handling of human specimens.
- Control infection using aseptic techniques in all stages of venipuncture.
- Apply appropriate legal and ethical standards to the practice of healthcare.
- Develop life management skills, work ethics, and critical thinking skills necessary for all health providers.