The courage to start school later in life took a lot but once I started, ACC made it easy to start, stay focused. I can’t imagine picking another school to start this chapter of my life.
Human Services (A.S.)
The Human Services program is designed to provide education and training for individuals seeking employment in various social service and educational settings.The program is also designed to provide a basis for those who choose to continue their education in social work, early intervention, gerontology, mental health counseling, addictions counseling and other related fields.
The program offers an opportunity to acquire knowledge and skills which will enable individuals to work in a variety of areas. There are specialization courses from which students may select, depending on their areas of interest.
Opportunities in human services are available in social service agencies, community action programs, day care centers, educational settings, in work with the elderly, and those individuals who may have emotional or physical problems.
Upon successful completion of all program requirements, graduates should be able to:
- Understand the past, present and future of human services;
- Describe and evaluate ways in which data are collected, applied, and presented in the field of human services;
- Recognize and respond to cultural diversity and the diverse challenges facing certain populations served by human services;
- Analyze the effectiveness of human service agencies’ implementation of programs to meet social needs;
- Read professional journals and relevant literature in the field of Human Services;
- Develop critical thinking skills within the context of professional human services practice to solve problems, apply learning and reasoning strategies, and to acquire and utilize information;
- Demonstrate a commitment to life-long learning for themselves and those whom they serve.
Elms College Bachelor’s of Social Work program at Asnuntuck Community College; Eastern Connecticut State University – School of Continuing Education –Bachelor’s Degree in General Studies (Human Services Concentration); Eastern Connecticut State University – Social Work Degree Program; Springfield College – School of Human Services; University of Connecticut – Bachelors in General Studies (Human Services Concentration); University of Hartford – Human Services Degree Program; Western New England University – Social Work Degree Program; Westfield State University – Social Work Degree Program
It is not uncommon for Human Services students to be offered a position in the agency where they do their Field Work. Students have been successfully hired at area social service agencies in both Massachusetts and Connecticut.