“The accounting program at ACC allowed me to obtain raises and promotions while I was working in the accounting field, while obtaining my degree.”
Years of higher ed experience.
The accounting program has four goals:
(1) To prepare students to be accounting paraprofessionals. The accounting employee with an associate degree can fill positions in business, industry and government including cost-accounting technician, budget technician, general bookkeeper, and various positions in the federal government;
(2) To provide students with an opportunity to take accounting courses in order to advance in their present job or to qualify for a promotion. These students may only require a few courses and may not wish to earn a degree;
(3) To provide accounting courses to students earning degrees in related areas such as business administration; and
(4) To allow the largest amount of credits to transfer to as many four-year colleges and universities as possible. We recommend that students be familiar with the requirements for the institution to which they will transfer. We encourage students to select their transfer college or university as early as possible. Students should see an advisor before choosing elective courses.
NOTE: Accounting majors who wish to earn a certificate in a business or computer field while earning their associate degree in accounting need only select appropriate courses as their electives.
Program Outcomes :
The Accounting program covers topics in financial, managerial, intermediate and cost accounting in addition to a variety of foundational courses. Upon completion of the program, graduates are able to:
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate verbally and in writing;
- Prepare financial statements;
- Demonstrate critical thinking and problem solving skills;
- Use information technology to prepare financial reports;
- Possess basic bookkeeping skills.
Transfer Opportunities :
Students transfer successfully to the Connecticut State Universities and are able to utilize transfer equivalencies and advising resources. The transfer counselor can always be consulted when transferring.
Employment Information :
Students with an accounting degree are employable in many fields: retail, manufacturing, banking, insurance and many others. Graduates find jobs in the public, private and not-for-profit sectors.