Disability Support

Asnuntuck Community College welcomes students with disabilities and seeks to provide opportunities for a positive college experience. Notification of a disability with supporting documentation should be received prior to registration in order to determine appropriate and reasonable services, adjustments, and implementation. Individual services are consistent with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act and are provided to each eligible student.


Students with disabilities are advised to submit an electronic request, as soon as possible, through our Accommodate System, to begin a confidential file and request an intake meeting with the Learning Disabilities Specialist (LDS) at:

New Student Request for Services

Please note that the process for establishing disability-related support is voluntary and student-initiated. When initiating the request, you must also upload your documentation validating the disability. Documentation should be current and relevant and include a description of the disability and its functional/educational limitations. Information on acceptable documentation can be found in our ACC Process for Working with Students with Disabilities 2021. Upon receipt of your request and documentation, an intake meeting will then be scheduled with the LDS, where specifics about the educational impact of your disability will be discussed. If accommodations are approved, the LDS will generate an Accommodation Letter, which will be shared with your instructor(s) detailing approved accommodations. Renewal of these accommodations will need to occur each semester you intend to use your approved accommodations.


Students who have been approved for accommodations in the past through Disability Services must renew their accommodations each semester by submitting a Semester Request. This should be done as early in the semester as possible since accommodations are not in place until your instructor receives the Accommodation Letter from Disability Services. To submit a Semester Request, renewing accommodations, please access the Accommodate System at:

Returning Student Semester Request

Once your request is received, your Accommodation Letter will be emailed to your instructor(s) with a copy to you. Students should discuss their accommodations with their instructor(s) to determine how they will be handled in the class.



(860) 253-3005

Process for Working with Students with Disabilities

This document overviews disability support services, including the roles and responsibilities of the Learning Disabilities Specialist (LDS), the student, and the faculty. ACC Process for Working with Students with Disabilities 2021


Who should I contact if I have a documented disability?

New students should submit a request through our Accommodate System at:

New Student Request for Services

If you have questions or trouble accessing the system, please contact the LDS at 860-253-3005 or AS-DisabilityServices@Asnuntuck.edu

Defining Reasonable Accommodations

A reasonable accommodation is a modification or adjustment to a course, program, service, job activity, or facility that ensures an equal opportunity for qualified students with disabilities to participate in, and enjoy the benefits of, a service, program, or activity. Aids, benefits, or services need not produce equal results, but must afford an equal opportunity to achieve equal results. When necessary, the LDS will consult with faculty regarding whether an accommodation would fundamentally alter the nature of the service, program, or activity or whether an academic requirement is essential to the instruction being pursued or any directly related licensing requirement. In doing so, Disability Services will examine the following:

  • Barriers between individuals with disabilities and the campus environment in accessing courses, programs, services, jobs, activities or facilities without accommodations;
  • Requested modifications, accommodations, and auxiliary aids;
  • Whether the proposed accommodations would fundamentally alter the nature of the course, program, service, job, activity, or facility;
  • Whether an academic requirement is essential to the instruction or any directly related licensing requirement;
  • Whether effective alternatives exist that would allow the individual with a disability to participate without lowering essential requirements or fundamentally altering the nature of the program.

When the College determines that a modification related to facilities or communication would result in a fundamental alteration or undue burden, Disability Services shall acquire the written opinion of the proper authority, i.e., department chair of impacted discipline, providing the reasoning supporting the decision.

What are some of the academic adjustments that I can receive at ACC?

Disabilities Services is committed to helping students make the most of their academic experience. As such, we provide a variety of different academic adjustments, including, but not limited to: extended testing time, closed captioning, preferential seating, note-taking assistance, and assistive technology. All services are free, and each student is evaluated on an individual basis. 

When do I provide my documentation?

Documentation should be uploaded to the Accommodate System upon initiating the request for services. This should be done as soon as possible since academic adjustments are not retroactive.

What do I need for verification of my documented disability?

Please see the Disability Documentation Guidelines in the ACC Process for Working with Students with Disabilities 2021 to determine eligibility for academic adjustments at the postsecondary level.

What if I have other questions?

You can contact the Learning Disabilities Specialist at (860) 253-3005 or AS-DisabilityServices@Asnuntuck.edu