Fall 2020: On-Campus Tutoring Guide
Fall 2020 On-Campus Hours: Math & Science, Tuesday, 9:00 am to 1:00 pm; Writing, Friday, 9:00 am to 1:00 pm; Accounting/CSA Friday, 9:00 am to 12:00 pm
Please Note: Due to COVID-19 protocols, on-campus hours and appointments are limited, and services will be provided by appointment only. Please review the guidelines below before scheduling your appointment.
These precautions are designed to keep students and staff safe. Please understand we are focused on maintaining student access to services, while limiting students and staff exposure to unnecessary risk. The Tutoring Center remains committed to serving students and helping them achieve their highest academic potential to the best of our abilities during this challenging time.
Scheduling an Appointment for On-Campus (in person) Tutoring:
1. Appointments for on-campus tutoring must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance but no more than one week in advance.
2. All tutoring sessions, both on-campus and online, last 45 minutes, and each student is limited to one tutoring appointment per course, per week. Standing appointments cannot be accommodated.
3. To request an appointment, click here. Each student is limited to one on-campus appointment per week. Standing appointments are not allowed.
4. The end time for students who arrive late to a tutoring session will remain the same. Time will not be added to the end of a session. In other words, if a session is scheduled for 10:15 AM – 11:00 AM and the student does not arrive until 10:25 AM, the session will still end at 11:00 AM.
5. If a student cannot attend a scheduled session, please cancel or reschedule the appointment by using the link in the confirmation email sent to you from Microsoft Bookings (see pages 3-4 of this guide for instructions). If a student needs to cancel on the day of their appointment, please call us at 860-253-3164 or email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Preparing for an on-campus tutoring session:
- Everyone must follow all Asnuntuck Covid-19 protocols including wearing a mask and maintaining (6) feet of physical distance (social distancing).
- Students are asked to share electronic copies of work with on-campus tutors before their on-campus sessions via email (email@example.com) or using Microsoft Teams (see pages 1 & 2 of this document for instructions). Please be informed that access to certain office supplies (public printers, in particular) is prohibited.
- Due to COVID-19 social distancing recommendations, the entrance to the Tutoring Center will remain locked. When you arrive, please sign in at the front door and a staff member will allow you into the area. Only students with appointments will be allowed into the area.
- Please come to your scheduled session prepared. In addition to an electronic copy of the assignment/s you are working on, be sure that you can access and share with your tutor the course syllabus, text/s, and your notes. Please complete the assigned readings and come prepared with your questions.
- Cell phones should be shut off during tutoring sessions.
- Food and drinks are strictly prohibited in the ATC.
- Students are required to wipe down their workstations and any office supplies they have used, such as calculators, at the end of the tutoring session.
- There will be extra time between appointments to allow students time to thoroughly clean and disinfect workstations at the end of their tutoring session.
- Students needing additional access to computers after their tutoring sessions will be directed to schedule time to work in a Computer Lab in rooms 212 & 214 (room numbers are subject to change), which will be available to students for 2 hour blocks of time and be open during college operating hours.
- Students seeking additional tutoring assistance from ACC tutors can schedule a remote, online Chat/Video Microsoft Teams Tutoring (Monday to Thursday, 9:00-8:00; Friday, 9:00-1:00; Saturday, 9:00-1:00).
Additional online, asynchronous tutoring help is available at eTutoringonline.org. eTutoring allows ACC students to receive assistance in math, writing, accounting, statistics, biology, chemistry, and anatomy and physiology from tutors all over the country. Please note: eTutoring is only available during Fall & Spring semesters.
Limitations for On-campus Appointments (enforced in conjunction with campus Security & the Dean of Student Services):
- Per Asnuntuck COVID-19 Guidelines, we ask that students wear their masks (over the nose and mouth) while in the Tutoring Center.
- Students unwilling to follow institutional protocols while on-campus will be asked to leave the area.
- Sanitize your hands at the sanitizing station upon entry into and exit from the Tutoring Center.
- Students working with tutors will be given priority, and on-campus tutoring staff will limit access to the Tutoring Center to students with on-ground appointments to maintain strict room occupancy limits.
- Student presence in the Tutoring Center will be limited to ≤ 1 hour. Students will not be allowed to spend extra time in the Tutoring Center after their appointments.
- Please be advised, due to COVID-19 guidelines, access to in person Library services will not be available when on-campus tutoring services are conducted. Access to remote Library services will be available during all designated Library hours.