I love my career as a Massage Therapist.
Massage Therapy (A.S.)
Asnuntuck Community College is currently offering this Associates Degree. Massage Therapy students can utilize financial aid to pay for the degree. On average, about 8 students are enrolled in this degree each semester. Upon completing the Massage Therapy Associates degree, the students will be able to work in both Connecticut as well as Massachusetts. The student must pass the Massage Board Licensing Exam (MBLEx) prior to obtaining Connecticut licensure. Asnuntuck Community College currently has a 100% pass rate on this exam. Asnuntuck currently has employers waiting for the students to graduate. This is a ratio of five jobs for every one student. The national trend in Massage Therapy is moving into the Associate Degree program.
- Perform a full body massage using and integrating effleurage, petrissage, vibration, friction and tapotement.
- Demonstrate knowledge of Anatomy and Physiology.
- Understand the origin, insertion and actions of the muscles of the upper and lower body.
- Understand Pathologies and how to work safely and effectively with those using massage therapy.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the principles of Massage Therapy.
- Understand the physiological effects of massage therapy on all of the 11 body systems.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of massage ethics and how to handle ethical dilemmas.
- Understand business practices of massage therapy; understand the various types of employment.
- Demonstrate the kinesthetic concepts and how they apply to massage therapy.